Monday, May 17, 2010

A lousy cup of coffee

This morning I woke up knowing that I had no coffee creamer in the house for my daily cup of joe. I decided to pilfer some of my roommate's coffee creamer and buy her a new bottle when I hit the store later today. When I finally crawled out of bed to make my pot of coffee, I discovered she had used the last of her creamer too. What to do? I cannot abide black coffee and did not want to make a pajama run to the store. I remembered that our landlords had left a commercial size container of the powdered stuff and attempted to doctor up my coffee with that. Ugh, no amount of peppermint syrup or sugar could make that coffee as delicious and rewarding as my liquid creamer. But did I dump it? no, I was more than willing to down not one, but TWO huge mugs of the second-rate coffee to get my daily fix.
This reminded me of my morning devotions (which were accompanied by said mediocre coffee). For many years I have struggled with consistency, and working the night shift has made the situation worse as I don't have the same daily wake-up time. I would much rather read a novel or even a book about the Bible than read the Bible itself. However, I promised myself that I would read through the whole Bible, in order, this year. And I have loved the thirst I am developing for this rich Word of God. It seemed that the Word was like a mediocre cup of coffee with powdered creamer and other books were the more expensive cup but in recent months, that has reversed! I'm so excited to finally have that genuine thirst for God's Word that I have longed after for years. This isn't to say this cultivated taste won't last forever as I'm sure if I suddenly gave up coffee and then tried to drink it again in 5 years it would be second-rate again. However, now that I've seen the light, I hope I never give it up.
Maybe there is hope for the powdered creamer? (There needs to be as the liquid stuff is more spendy and hard to come by in Manila. *sigh*)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pami!

    Thank you for this post... I thoroughly enjoyed it as you know I love coffee creamer too! You know, you could do what I started to do, which is to buy liquid flavored syrup and combine it with half-in-half or full cream. I realize this is not the same, BUT, it is considerably healthier because then there is no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenized oils, and less fat. And, there are far more varieties of flavors.

    But, I understand about what you mean in wanting to read 'scholarly' books about the Bible, more than the Bible itself. But... the Bible, like in my suggestion above, is far more healthy and good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Micah! thanks for stopping by my humble blog. :) Great suggestion on the coffee creamer. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete