Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Guess I'm Here to Stay

Folks, there's no denying it. Today I used my very last Target brand cotton round. Tear.

Now this isn't that big of a deal, but it is the last of the package I brought with me and I had to go out and buy a local replacement (which will work just fine). It's weird how I mourn the little things that mark the passing of time. After all, it's these little things that make me release the grip of the US and make me feel like I'm really here to stay for a while, such as cotton rounds, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, and lotion. (You'd be surprised how HARD it is to find lotion here that doesn't have whitening agents in it. As if I'm not white enough, thank you very much!!!)

So slowly but surely I'm adjusting, settling, and figuring out my place in this land.

2 comments:

  1. Lotion with whitening agents? That's a crack up. Growing up in Japan I understand as "white" was always the preferred color of skin as well. However, my white skin didn't qualify as the "white" that was admired. I thought it was "white enough" but, no, alas... the freckles got in the way of the purity thus making it more along the lines of "freak white" not "desired white"!!! Isn't that just the way it is though... we "white chicks" lay out to get a tan (not me since I can't tan, but others), while the "not white chicks" use lotion to whiten. Meanwhile, the curly-haired girl straightens while the straight-haired girl curls!!! Well, I'm off to Target so I'd better close... ha ha ha! Just thought I'd tease...
    Love and prayers - Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO TRUE Cindi! Just the other day I was commenting to someone about how white my skin is and she said, "but yours has freckles..." As if that was an insult. haha. I had to laugh.
    My mom went to the dermatologist for some eczema and was given lotion...that had whitening stuff in it. When she took it back, the dermatologist said, "but don't you want to get rid of your freckles?"
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete