Saturday, July 9, 2011

Life changes a little bit

I've learned a new acronym: TIP. In the movie "Blood Diamonds," they use the phrase TIA, which means This Is Africa as an explanation for things that just don't make sense to an American mind. The same applies to TIP: This Is the Philippines. Now, some of the things don't necessarily have to do with culture or frustrations...but there are times that it just hits me in unexpected ways that I'm not living in Southern California anymore. For example:

  • Being delighted by the fireflies dancing about INSIDE my bedroom as I nod off to sleep
  • Watching my housemates' cats pounce on the 20-30 termites flying around my living room while I try to read
  • Trying to figure out how in the world to line-dry my clothes when it rains for days on end
  • Getting frustrated with local farmers using the national 2-lane highways to dry their rice, causing countless near-accidents while trying to avoid driving through their only livelihood
A missionary friend is trying to teach the locals about crop spacing by carefully spacing corn in order to yield larger crops. One local said, "Wow! Those ears are HUGE," after seeing the beautiful results. After explaining why they were so big, she just shakes her head and says, "Just imagine how many you could have gotten if you'd planted more in that space!" Sometimes you just have to laugh and say, T.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment