Saturday, July 2, 2011

Nordstroms?

It's time for another update...past time.

I moved out closer to the birthing home last week and have been scurrying around trying to set up a house, from buying a fridge (called a "ref" here), waste baskets, toilet paper, and the like. Though I couldn't bring myself to buy rags...too much of an oxymoron. Things are slowly coming together and it's feeling more like a home. Curtains are next.

One young gal at the clinic broke my heart. Jing* is just 21 and expecting her first. I was preparing to get a blood sample to test her hematocrit when she asks me in flawless English, "Are you from the US?" Surprised after speaking only Tagalog to her, I switched to English and said yes.
"California?" Again, yes.
"Why?" I ask.
"I used to live in Irvine*."
My jaw dropped as I stared at her. To my knowledge, we've never had a patient who has lived abroad! Turns out she was living with her father, uncle, and aunt. She got a job at Nordstroms* and was adjusting to life in the US when her uncle started making advances at her and eventually abused her. When she confronted her aunt about it, her aunt denied it and she was forced to leave the US and return here. Her family has shamed her because she failed to survive in the US and now she is staying with her new boyfriend, who is the father of her baby, barely eeking a living. So much hurt.
We had 3 Master's College girls with us during this day, 2 who are studying Biblical Counseling. I asked them to speak with Jing as they are her age and just came from California. I was so thankful for them! They were able to spend far more time with Jing than I could have.
You can bet I'll be watching for this sweet girl for her future visits. Would you pray for her?

The presentation at GCF regarding the building project went really well and I'm trusting the Lord to move in the hearts of those who heard.

To those in the USA, happy Fourth of July! I hope you enjoy the long weekend and yummy grub! :)

(*names changed for obvious reasons*)

2 comments:

  1. curtains were nearly the first thing I put up here in Memphis! Makes anywhere feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Jing! and you! Love from the USA!!

    ReplyDelete