Friday, September 30, 2011

Layers


One of the things that MKs (missionary kids) get really good at is saying hello and goodbye. We don't necessarily LIKE saying it so much, but it's a fact of life. Our lives are layers of acquaintances, friends, relatives, and even relative strangers (pun intended). There are the folks I grew up with on the mission field from all over the world, my Biola days, my study abroad in London days, my nursing school days, church friends, work friends, and now back on the mission field.

There are times when I see someone and have to think hard for a minute to place them. Where do I know them from? What's really weird is when you see someone out of context, like a church friend from the US who suddenly shows up at my church in Philippines.

I think the greatest challenge comes in maintaining those friendships from all the layers. When life gets so busy, we (I) tend to live in the moment, and it's hard to remember the incredibly important people in my life who may not be a phone call or quick drive away. These people have had such amazing influence in who I've become and they STILL mean so much to me.

So for those of you reading this, I'm sorry if I haven't been as faithful in sharing life with you. Please never doubt for a moment how very much I miss you all. A busy life helps take out some of the sting, but each goodbye is just as painful. So when you get a chance, please send me an email or catch me online. I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment