Sunday, December 18, 2011

Random Medley

Today I lost my perfect attendance score at my regular church to attend a Thanksgiving service at a church in the slums. Oh wait, I was never in the running for that perfect attendance...oops. Anywho, it was a fun and unique morning.

I've gotten into discussions with several missionaries about the Philippines love for celebrations. Do churches in the US really celebrate church anniversaries? Mine does, but not very many do. Here it is a BIG DEAL. Literally a marathon all day event with prizes, bands, food, several sermons, games, and the list goes on. There are also thanksgiving services which are usually different than anniversary services, but just as BIG a DEAL.

When I arrived at the town center's covered basketball court, the party was just starting. I was welcomed by a greeting committee of 8 ladies in bright pink and white shirts. As the sole foreigner and as the guest of the guest speaker (Philippines director of Compassion International), I was given a seat in the front row, much to my chagrin. I really dislike sitting in the front row because I stand out enough as it is...and I have to really watch my p's and q's in order to avoid making a cultural faux pas. But it is an honor so I try to do my best to be grateful.

Soon, we were serenaded by the local school's xylophone marching band. I was surprised to hear them playing the US Marine Corps Anthem, then tickled as they transitioned into Auld Lane Syne, then laughed out loud when it smoothly switched to My Heart Will Go On. Only in the Philippines!!!

It was such a neat service with all the different kids' groups performing dances, skits, songs, and even giving testimonies of God's provision for them. Because this church partners with Compassion International, many of the kids were sponsor kids. Let me just say once again how impressed I am with Compassion.

After the 4 hour service, the director of Compassion came with me to visit Shalom. There might be an opportunity to partner with Compassion to provide the prenatal care and delivery for women enrolled in their Child Survival Program. This is a neat program which follows little ones from in utero to 3 years old, at which point they are enrolled in the regular sponsorship program.

Right now there are no churches in our area partnering with Compassion, so please be praying for a nearby church to meet the criteria for Compassion enrollment. It would be so neat to be able to directly partner with this amazing organization to really impact our nearby communities.

Below is an example of the truly unique Pinoy xylophone marching band that I found on youtube. Awesome or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment