Friday, December 9, 2011

Josh & Neni

When they walked in the door for an ultrasound I had to do a double-take. We've seen young girls at Shalom before, but this gal was still a child! She was beautiful, but her body was definitely not fully-developed. Her face was innocent and she had a wide-eyed look about her. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a t-shirt, holding her medical record in one hand and a motorcycle helmet in the other.

Her boyfriend was with her and it was all I could not to stare at him in disgust. His hair was spiked, his guyliner was thick, his earring winked proudly, and he had this toughened, yet bored look about him.

I called Neni to the ultrasound room and Josh hung back. I firmly asked if he wanted to come, leaving no doubt to my expectation. He was going to see this new life he had helped create if I had my say. I took a bit of history and learned that Neni is 14 and Josh is 19. He was the one with the motorcycle...the same motorcycle responsible for breaking Neni's arm last spring. Neni is so young that her body hasn't had time to regulate her monthly cycles and so it was difficult to accurately date the baby. My job was to determine the gestational age so we could set a due date.

My heart was heavy, half-way hoping there was no baby for the sake of this girl. As I placed the probe on her belly, I looked over at Josh and he had this hardened expression on his face with his arms folded defiantly on his chest. The urge was strong to get up and smack him, knowing that in the US, his actions would land him in jail for statutory rape. However, I smiled at him, praying that God would soften his heart.

As soon as my probe touched her belly, a little beating heart showed up right away. Yes, there was a baby. It was still very small, but I showed Neni all the parts of her little one and her face at first showed disinterest, then slowly transformed to curiosity, then wonder. She hadn't felt the baby moving yet, so I'm sure she was in some sort of denial that she was pregnant at all.

I took the necessary measurements and estimated her due date, scheduling her for a repeat 4 weeks later. I tried to educated Neni as best as I could, but I could tell her heart still wasn't really in it and Josh was shifting uncomfortably in his chair. I asked if I could pray for them and Neni shyly nodded yes while Josh glanced furtively at the door. Afterwards, Josh moved the fastest I'd seen him walk to get out of there.

Today was the 4 weeks follow-up. I was somewhat surprised to see Josh back with Neni, but thankful. Perhaps his heart had softened? Or maybe he was her only transportation? Or maybe he was controlling? I don't know.

Without much ado, I started scanning Neni's new little bump and was happy to see an active, kicking baby. The baby was growing well and it's size confirmed my earlier guestimation of her due date. This time, while I tried to educate Neni, I included Josh as much as possible. Neni's blood test from earlier had shown a hemoglobin of just 9.0. In the US, that's nearly grounds for a transfusion! I discussed diet and put much of the responsibility on Josh to make sure he took part in caring for his girlfriend and new child. I closed once again in prayer.

Please pray for this young couple. Neni seemed more somber today, as if reality is sinking in. She had to drop out of school when she broke her arm, then opted not to go back when she got pregnant. I'll be honest, I walked out of the exam room fairly depressed, feeling like my head is uselessly beating against the wall. Josh seemed just as prideful, but I know deep down he must be terrified.

There is some hope, knowing that he has a motorcycle, which means that there must be some money in his family...though how he comes by it I have no idea. But please pray that God will continue to soften their hearts and prepare them for parenthood. Please pray for family support as well. Neni is now living with Josh and his family, a common practice here. And also pray for compassion and hope for all of us caring for her. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I read this out loud to my kids at the breakfast table today. My oldest daughter is 14, so it really it hit home. And then we all prayed for Neni and Josh. Thank you for being there for them- praying God uses you to reach them with His love and salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you minister to this couple and praying for Neni & Josh, for God to use this in their lives to draw them to Himself in His all-sufficient love & grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read this I stopped and prayed for Josh and Neni and for you. Please keep us posted on them. I pray that they will come to know GOD.

    ReplyDelete