Saturday, December 4, 2010

boxes

Blogging: it seems to come in waves for me. Some weeks go by with several blog postings, and then an entire month will go by with absolutely nothing (November, ehem). And so I am going to do my best to crush this blogworld roller coaster and faithfully post every Saturday. And it begins today.

Yesterday I went shopping for boxes. Through the graciousness of the owner of Forex, I am being gifted with 5 free boxes to ship to Manila!!! This is huge as normally it is $60-70 per box to ship. I was originally planning on making most of my household set-up purchases in Manila because it's just too expensive to ship it, but since I'm shipping for FREE, I'm buying the better quality stuff here. So today I needed to box shop. Do you know how hard it is to find good quality, thick moving boxes? Home Depot, Lowes and Office Depot all failed me as none of their boxes were big enough. To U-haul I went. Another issue... their "jumbo" boxes all had "lightweight" stamped on them. Excuse me, moving a female is NOT lightweight! I finally found some microwave/large appliance boxes that are triple strength and the perfect size. phew!
I hate packing. I really, really hate packing. (doesn't everyone?) And yet the packing, sorting, giving, and tossing all makes me realize how incredibly blessed I am. How have I accumulated so much stuff in the 9 years I've lived in the US? And I haven't lived a wealthy, materialistic lifestyle either. A lot of it is sentimental junk...gosh, am I really that sentimental? Do I need that poster of the musical we put on in college? truly? Or how about all those CDs from the 90s? Can I just rip them up to my computer and toss them? Coats, sweaters? How many to keep for furloughs and will they be so dreadfully out of style when I come back? How can a peacoat ever go out of style? Ahhhh, the decisions...

In happier news, my much anticipated Christmas cards came yesterday. LOVE them! I would LOVE to send you one. Who knew graphic design could be so much fun? (When it turns out well, though I was ready to chuck the whole thing down the toilet several times. Thank goodness for friends who helped a sistah out! Corey, you are wonderful!)

Happy Saturday friends! I hope you can enjoy it and rest. I'm at work (I confess, I wrote this Friday night and timed it to post today) trying to keep patients alive 'til 7:35. If you think of me on Sunday, I'll be sharing with an adult Sunday School class at WACC. Prayers would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment