Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ober da Bakod

Today I tagged along with the Street Impact Team to a children's outreach along the banks of the San Juan river. A Canadian illusionist provided entertainment and a Gospel message to the kids, many of whom lost everything...a common theme among most of the poor in the city. The kids also received school supplies, which they held close to them and counted as riches.

Later we all traveled to the area where these kids live, in filth and poverty. There are no words to describe the scene we walked upon. The river was full of bubbles from decomposing matter in its depths, the houses were ravaged, the kids were malnourished, and the adults begged for assistance.

I did not get an opportunity to pull out my medical supplies, but I did take a few pictures, which can be seen here.

Tomorrow I will be accompanying my parents to a church that has been feeding 300 malnourished children for several weeks. My mom has been asked to speak and I will take the opportunity to treat any medical needs as I am able. Many of these families were also affected by the massive flooding.

I also made a short, rushed video tonight that gives a small idea of what ACTION has been doing. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the video, Pami! I wish I could be there with you helping too! I enjoy reading your blog, looking at the photos, and hearing about what you are doing - you're amazing! :) Love ya! And miss you!!

    ReplyDelete