Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things I'll miss...

People often ask me what I'm going to miss about the US when I move to the Philippines. That's a tough one!

When my family first moved there in 1981, things were MUCH different. The only fast food restaurants from home were Shakey's and KFC. McDonald's opened shortly after. Now they have just about everything from TGI Fridays, Tony Roma's, Fazoli's, even Taco Bell! There are more Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Armani stores than there are in LA...practically. It's ridiculous. Walking distance from my parents' house are 5 major shopping malls. It seems like Manila has just about everything.

That being said, there are some things I'm going to miss:
In N Out
Red Robin
Target (sniff sniff)
Trader Joe's (stomach growls)
Driving with at least 10 feet from the car in front of me, doesn't happen too often in LA, but it DOES happen
finding pants/shorts that fit (Filipinas are built differently)
Liquid coffee creamer!!! :( :( :(
hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants
free tickets to Disneyland
Big Bang Theory on TV

And of course the people. I can do without the things, but the people are what will hurt. Thank God for Skype and GoogleTalk.

But keep me accountable, folks. There were things I missed dearly when I moved to the US in 2001. Things that I really appreciate about the Philippines. Ask me about what I love sometime in March after I've settled in a bit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment