Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"high blood"

I took a break from my workshops and observations today and helped out at the birthing home during their prenatal clinic this morning. Normally there are anywhere from 5-15 nursing students from local nursing schools milling around to help with the process, but it's summer break here right now and we were quite short handed!

We saw 103 preggos, all at varying stages of belly bulging. I mostly did blood tests to check for anemia and helped check the moms in, pulling their records, taking vitals, etc... One mom stood out to me. She was only 20, a primip (first baby), and quite slender. Her baby's father was with her and interested in her progress. I took her BP and got 180/120. Yikes! I checked again on the other arm...the same. I called over another nurse to verify and she got 170/120, still high. Blood pressures this high are very dangerous in anyone, particularly in pregnant women. We referred her on to a local public hospital who could give her medications to bring down her blood pressure and protect her little one. Please pray for this mom and her little family!

It was a BUSY morning, but so rewarding. I saw quite a bit of anemia as I read the lab tests, a common problem as these women do not have access to much iron rich foods. Their diet mostly consists of simple carbs like rice, ramen noodles, and white bread. Leafy greens are usually available, but there's not much education about eating them. That's something that we encourage all our moms to add to their diet.

Tomorrow I'll be at the Philippine General Hospital for a two-day seminar/workshop on lactation (breastfeeding). I'm looking forward to more learning, but I have a feeling my brain is going to feel a bit like mush on Thursday night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment