Friday, March 18, 2011

The rickety taxis

Growing up as a kid, I was NEVER allowed to travel anywhere by myself, for obvious reasons! After nearly being kidnapped as a 10 year-old, those restrictions where even tighter and I wasn't even allowed to stroll through the mall by myself. (By the way, I just found out that the Philippines is home to 3 of the 11 largest malls in the world!) Now that I'm back here as an adult, I find I am a bit leery to be traveling by myself, even though I'm a "big girl". It's an odd feeling to just step outside of my house, hail a cab, and head to my destination. Though it always seems I luck out with the rickety, squeaky, and barely road-worthy taxis.

I have a safety system in place: I always text the name of the cab - yes, they all have names, a humorous subject for another entry - and the license plate number to another missionary in case anything happens...and I carry my pepper spray in my hand. I'm safe, though I must be vigilant.

I always try to start a conversation with the driver for several reasons:
1.) to let him know that I speak the language and know the area so he doesn't try to drive in circles to raise the meter price
2.) to let him know I love the Philippines and am here to serve
3.) to get him to turn down the radio (often the biggest motivator!)

These conversations always start with, "Wow! How do you e-speak Tagalog ma'am?" And then interest in what I do and why I'm here. I had one driver who was a CRAZY driver (seriously, I feared for my life!) who use to be a provincial bus driver...ah, that's explains the driving. It was my first time going to this particular destination and I found out later he did take me in circles. :( And he was super defensive of his people. I couldn't get him to understand that I came here to help, not make him feel bad that his country requires help. Shoot, we ALL need help, no matter where we are. This sentiment is quite rare here and I was honestly surprised at his indignancy.

However, on Wednesday I had a rather interesting conversation with one taxi driver who was a bit jaded with his religion and asked what church I attend, what I believe, etc... To be perfectly frank, I'm not much of a vocal evangelist (so why am I a missionary you ask, I know...I've asked it too). So I found myself in an interesting position sharing what I believe and the differences between what his church teaches. He was sad when we arrived at my destination, though he did mention that he knew of a Christian church near his house that he would try out. Please pray for this guy! (I didn't even get his name.)

On a related note, I DO have a vehicle that God miraculously provided, but due to over-congestion - an understatement! - each vehicle is restricted from driving on the road 1 day per week. In otherwords, I can't drive between 7am-7pm on Wednesdays. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment